ICT4D Cambodia Network Meeting
On 11 June 2014
At Cooperation Committee for Cambodia (CCC)
Ms. Sin Putheary, Communication and Membership Development of CCC, gives short welcome remarks of the Network Meeting in which the meeting is co-organized by ICT4D Cambodia Network and CCC. CCC is welcome for making collaboration to promote ICT4D into CCC’s member organizations.
Mr. MakPuthea, ICT4D Cambodia Network: the objective is to introduce our members of ICT4D Cambodia Network which is a group that experienced in communication technology and also want tointroduce existing different available technology platforms to the potential NGOs who are working at grassroots level.
1. Overview of CCC and its ICT4D initiatives
Mr. EngSophara, ICT specialist of CCC shares that CCC is envisioned to see “Partnership for Sustainable Development in Cambodia”through providing quality services and responses to the members and other development partners to improve their projects/programs among CSOs. CCC’s core work include coordination, advocacy, and network facilitation. To be sustainable development have to include 4 main relevant actors, government, private sectors, CSOs, and stakeholders to work together. As of today, there have more than 160 members of CCC been increased since 1990. For the vision and strategy until 2018, CCC wishes to see sustainability of finance, community development of the members…etc. CCC is working to mobilize various CSOs of different sectors to work together as a strong forces to advocate the governments to make changes for sustainable development. For ICT4D, CCC wish to see the use of ICT for improving system of financial, human resources, M&E, and their projects/programs in grassroots level of CSOs. CCC also wants to build e-Learning forum that everyone can learn and share knowledge and experiences via online forum.
- Mobile Technologies Landscape and opportunity for CSO in Cambodia
Ms. SuyChanne, Regional Lead of InSTEDDiLab Southeast Asia, based in Cambodia, shares an opportunity of using mobile technology to civil society organizations in Cambodia. People imagines what to get cool, nice graphic and beautiful if talk about technology. But it should focus to begin with the “Problem driven”.Secondly,who is going to use the technology (end user, not always headquarter)?Thirdly, what issues want to address?She gives an example of designing mobile technology project in Laos, having no electricity line but using solar panel in that remote area, what’s amazing to see the use of telephone, mobile phone. Based on that experienced;if you want to introduce any technology solutions, howcan you make that solution design based on what people have to make it connectivity? How to make it scalable, cost effectiveness, and long-term solution not just solution for today? Cost effectiveness is about to make collaboration with public and private sectors through Cooperate Social Responsibility (CSR). In Cambodia, InSTEDD’s mobile technology solution projects have been cooperated with Mobile Operators, in which some of projects, Ministry of Health’s project particularly, is free of charge to call-in. With the support from Spider, InSTEDD creates Interactive Voice Response (IVR) platformthrough mobile phone to support some of organizations in Cambodia. Real-time data reporting system and map visualization on malaria case in Cambodia via mobile phone..etc.
- InSTEDD’s Innovation Camp will be organized by bi-monthly basis, proposed upcoming event on the 03rd July, 2014 by focusing on migration and human trafficking, aiming to assist CSOs to design technology solutions for their needs. If interest, please send InSTEDD an email prior the event as the space is limited.
- Practical experienced of the use of IVR by WMC
Ms. DethLyda, Radio Producer; what lesson learnt of WMC was about to get short code from Mobile Operators. It was initially believed not so difficult but complicated process, and taking time for requesting the short code. WMC short code is 1515 (Free for Mobitel), and 5151 (free for Cooltel). Therefore, thanks you InSTEDD that assist us technically for getting short code from MO. WMC has been implementing IVR system on the issue of maternal health—to increase pregnant women’s access to and utilization of antenatal care and postnatal care, and birth spacing. WMC employs mass media include radio and TV program, then tried to combine media and technology since the work with ICT4D Cambodia Network. Through the use of IVR, our program reached another level of audience whom the frequency of Radio 102FMz has not covered in some area, available 24hours/7days, and able to leave message. WMC is planned to integrate the implementation of IVR into all programs of WMC. For next program with IVR, we are working to promote transparency and corruption.
- Open Development Cambodia (ODC) Mapping Kit
Mr. NhiepSeila, ODC is working to collect and store data related to development include environmental, social, and economic. There are many contents on the ODC website. Basically, ODC website is an open data hub that consist of non-spatial data (text) and spatial data (location). Database of ODC is stored as spatial data using MySQL. All data are inter-related (Company Profile and Laws and Regulations) to give referencethat can be retrieved information efficiently. Base Map (Map toolkit) is simply to allow NGOs that’s working in grassroots level to make their own map for field work andcan be able to printout map based on what layers that ODC has provided, or to add more data layers based on their available different information. It does not relate to the phone application, but it can beused to share taken photo by mobile phone on to the web.
- ODC’s Phnom Penh Mapping Meet-up is previously organized monthly basis. But it is dependent on participants who interest whether to have monthly or bi-monthly as there have other technology beyond mapping. It will invite experts and experienced students to share knowledge and experience on how to do mapping. Go to ODC’s Facebook or blog to see the announcement of upcoming events.
- Create TV channel online via mobile app—Khmer Media (KM)
Mr. Try Kimhieng, Director of KM in Cambodia, KM’s headquarter based in the US. KM’s vision to share information globally through access to internet. For KM TV application, you can use through mobile phone and computer, which support all devices of IOS and Android except Window that’s still on the process to build configuration. 2 benefits from using KM’s mobile app; 1-) People can watch TV channel Network worldwide, 2-) Create TV channel online. KM is a company sector that aim contributing to social and economic development. For social NGOs who interest to build TV channel online, it is charged 30-40% of services include template, material, and server space. Therefore, KMis marketing set-top box connect to TV (Traditional TV) for watching TV channel network but make sure the internet is standby. KM organizes regularly Media Conference once a year. This year will be next month (July) taken place in the US. The interest participants have to pay for their attending.
3. Discussion, and Q and A
- Mr. Kirk Warren, Senior Management Coach of CCC: I am impressed to see IVR, how many people to see IVR implemented by WMC? for how period of time?
- Ms. DethLyda countsraftly about 4500 callers, and so far it has been implemented 3 months. For this month is about 1000 callers.
- Ms. SuyChanne, WMC is one of the organizations that used IVR, the platform developed by InSTEDD. There have others like ILO, Marie Stopes International, the road safety project and MoPoTsyo, and NEC Election Hotline are also using it. IVR is the type of communication when one project need to interact with the beneficiary that have limited access to internet and the literacy barrier. Most of the projects that’s using IVR based their contexts.
- Mr. Chan Nath, General Manager of IT Investment Group (ITIG): Does KM need to have license to set up TV channel? How much for the set up TV channel online? What different between Youtube and Khmer Media TV?
- Mr. Try Kim Hieng, KM: Yes, it is needed to get license from Ministry of Information (MoI) but it is meant about to broadcast Khmer channel networks in Cambodia from KM’s platform in real time, what is in Khmer TV, it will be lived real time on KM TV.For the requirement what if people wanted to build own TV channel online is another question, and KMare not sure about it but we are working rather on technology. For the set-up price is dependent on whether company and NGOs sectors. If company, yes, it will be charged higher than NGOs sectors. For maintenance and technical services, KM will train to interested partners for using it.
- Visit KM TV, go to App Store if IOS and Play Store if Android, thentyping Khmer Media, press search button. Finally, download and install.
- Mr. NhiepSeila, ODC: What if we wanted to live from own TV channel online, is it possible to do it?
- Mr. Try Kim Hieng, KM: 1-) If your program goes live from studio, it will be broadcasted in real time from KM TV channel network. 2-) If wanted to make hot news live, thereis needed ‘1 Box’ connecting to your camera to go live but make sure internet is standby. No need satellite car!
- Mr. Tim Malay, President of CYN: what if we want to sms to 19 million mobile users in Cambodia about the illegal activities such as forest cutting, illegal logging, or land crabbing. Is it possible? If we want sms directly to the people without center, how possible? What if want to create own TV channel online?Recently, the drafted cybercrime law has been released, some restrictions will affect online user. Increased available communication technology, but weaken the right access to information and freedom of expression (cybercrime law).
- Ms. SuyChanne, InSTEDD: If MO allowed, yes, it is. Because some design mobile technology platform have been cooperated with Mobil Operators in Cambodia. Not sure whether MO will allow to use via their services if it is really hot issues. It is privacy and MO is very careful about these short of hot controversial information. But for technology is doable!
Recently, InSTEDD together with The Asia Foundation in collaboration with Phnom Penh Municipality (PPM) just launched mobile application that allows local residents to report waste collection if garbage trucks have not come. People can take picture of dump siteand fill some more required information, then send to the application. The system will alert to the PPM. So that they can view,control, and coordinategarbage trucks to collect waste from nearest zone due to garbage truck is equipped with GPS system. However, we can move from garbage management to others issues based on used case happen in the grassroots level, and what improvement you want to see in your used case through using mobile technology. Do not say that what technology is, but say that this is an issue and how can technology improve this!
- Mr. Chan Nath, ITIG: Transparency International (TI) is implementing technology to report about corruption and it visualizes data on web map. The reporting will go through center, then center will check or investigate if the case is sent by many reporters (citizen).
- Mr. NhiepSeila, ODC: It is not easy question. But building web map to allow people to report to system is even possible in our context. If you want to sms/send information through mobile phone, there will be going through MO.
- Mr. Thy Try, ODC, ODC is not advocacy organization even there have some agendas on advocacy but ODC tries to provide information to them on public domain. Once they share information on public domain, ODC will check and visualize data on online. ODC is not only center of information but we want ODC is a tools once you check ODC website, you will get more data and understand what stories and country context have been happening, then you will make decision yourself. ODC is not trying to provoke SO/STH.
- Ms. Lim Bopha, KM: KM TV will request license from MoI. Thus, KM will be responsible for Cambodia law. KM will happy if technology is very helpful but at first stage we are welcome to work with issues that not related to the political. KM is welcome to work with WMC to contribute promoting information in relation to the issues of gender based violent and health.
- Ms. Sin Putheary, CCC: It is about content management if you can control it effectively, then it will not be effected. For example Cambodia Daily and Phnom Penh Post…etc. They do provide also hot news!
For CCC, because CCC is a membership organizations which have more than 160 organizations, there was a need of CCC wanted to use ICT4D for improving system of human resource management, financial management, M&E system of their CSOs project/program. CCC found poor quality of management system of small local NGOs that need to be addressed. Believe ICT4D can be a tool to improve it!
- Mr. ProuSokchea, CRS: CRS is international organization working in many countries in some regions. Just wants to share information as CRS is also working related to ICT4D. CRSorganizes forum every year on ICT4D. Next year will take place in Venezuela?
- ChannReksa, CCHR: CCHR is using Microsoft technology license so called Map Publisher to do mapping (charge)but it does not powerful, many options required, and limit space. Interest ODC mapping kit, share if ODC mapping kit can help CCHR to build map. What if we want to build visualization web map to report about case of human right violation?
- Mr. NhiepSeila, ODC: ODC uses open source to do mapping. But need some necessary components such as database, data, and design program.
- Ms. SuyChanne, InSTEDD: Go visit InSTEDD, perhaps it can be worked with product of InSTEDD, Resource Map, real time data reporting and an open source application.